Considered one of the natural wonders of the world, the imposing Amazon River, surfing its waters has become a dream for researchers and thousands of tourists who arrive daily at the beautiful city of Iquitos which is the starting point to be able to tour the Amazon River.
The Amazon River was born in Peru in the Apacheta Stream at more than 5597 meters above sea level in the Quehuisha - Mismi mountain in the region of Arequipa and it crosses extensive tropical forests, it makes a tour through the countries of Colombia and Brazil where finally it flows into the Atlantic Ocean. It contains about one fifth of the fresh water in the liquid state of the planet. The Amazon River has more than 500 navigable tributary rivers, and it has a depth of up to 50 meters, it is so wide that in some points you can see the curvature of the earth as if it were an ocean. At the time of flood of the river, its flow can reach up to 300 thousand cubic meters per second and at another time, it drops to 80 thousand cubic meters per second.
Fun facts about the Amazon River
- It is the longest and mightiest river in the world, it contains more water than the Nile river, the Ynagtsé and the Mississippi together.
- "Amazonas", indigenous word that means: "boat breaker"
- In 2010 it was confirmed that it is the longest river in the world, with 7062 kilometers in length.
- The Amazon has a width between 1.6 and 10 kilometers in its low stage, but expands (during the wet season) up to 48 kilometers or more.
- Solimoês is the name it takes in the country of Brazil.
- The river rises mainly in the months of March, April and May.
- Mammals such as the manatee and the pink dolphin inhabit the Amazon River.
- At the end of the 20th century, the French marine biologist, Jacques Cousteau, in the wake of the Caypso, revealed to the world the rich natural history of the Amazon River.
- Another way to get to know the heart of the Amazon, are hanging bridges, small constructions located between the tops of trees and secure platforms, from here you can see the beautiful diversity of flora and fauna.
The Amazon rainforest is actively developed around the Amazon River and its river basin, occupying the Amazonia around 5500000 square kilometers of nine countries such as Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, French Guiana and Suriname.
Of the fauna of the Amazon river
The Amazon brings with it all the flora and fauna of the American wet intertropical jungle, there are many species of plants, thousands of species of birds, countless amphibians and millions of insects that still need to be classified. Highlights include large mammals such as the jaguar, puma, tapir and several species of deer, reptiles are also present as turtles, alligators and snakes.
There are birds and fish of all species, plumage and scales. According to recent studies in the Amazon there are 4000 species of butterflies, more than 3000 species of freshwater fish, 1700 birds and 20% of the primate species of the entire planet.
Embark on this wonderful adventure with the best travel agency in Peru Machu Picchu Travel.
- Tour 20 days tour in Peru: Lima, Nazca, Machu Picchu, cruise the Amazon, Huacachina, Arequipa, Colca Canyon
We serve 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- WhatsApp: +51984630919
- Phone: + 51-84-264242
Animate to live a new adventure as well as our passengers already did, do not stay with the desire, that does not tell you about it...